Getting to Glow
Biking to GLOW is THE way to go. Three City Bike Valets will park bikes for free all evening, starting at 6pm, at these locations:
- Palisades Park (Ocean Avenue), just south of Broadway
- Immediately south of the Pier in Hot Dog on a Stick’s parking lot
- The parking lot, south of Crescent Bay Park along the beach bike path, just south of Bicknell Avenue
Don’t forget your bike light! A light is required to ride at night, and must illuminate the roadway in front of you and be bright enough so others can see you. For safety purposes, all bikers are required to dismount bikes on the beach path between Broadway and Bicknell due to pedestrian congestion.
Traffic and parking in downtown Santa Monica may be extremely challenging at certain points during the evening. Plan ahead and allow additional travel time. Here are a few inside tips:
- Exit I-10 westbound at Cloverfield or Lincoln Blvd. Use Broadway or Arizona to access downtown; use Pico or Ocean Park Boulevard to access low-cost beach parking.
- Flat-rate event parking will range from $5 – $20, based on proximity to the Glow Zone. Rates start at 4pm. Use http://www.parkme.com/santa-monica-parking to track parking availability.
- Less expensive beach parking lots are south of Pico Blvd.
- Street closures will be in effect from 5pm – 3am. Local access will be allowed at the discretion of SMPD. See a list of the street closures.
- Alleys in the Glow Zone will be accessible.
- Visitors should budget at least 30 minutes additional travel time if coming by car. Check online (for example: www.sigalert.com) to monitor traffic conditions.
by public transit
With a little planning ahead, public transit is an excellent option for getting to Glow.
Big Blue Bus/BBB Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and Metro Routes 534, 704 and 720 will operate from the Transit Hub on 11th St. between Olympic Blvd. and Colorado Ave. Shuttles will run from the Transit Hub to 6th Street between Santa Monica Blvd. and Colorado Ave. See the FAQ’s and Map below for more information.
All Big Blue Buses have bike racks if you’d like to bring your bike along to ride the last few blocks to the event. Riders using mobility devices and/or who cannot walk to the event from these streets should note that taxis and paratransit vehicles will be allowed within the Glow Zone. There is a designated 15 minute unloading/drop-off area at the western end of Pico Blvd., between Shutters and Casa del Mar.